Re: [Exim] $message_id is blank

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ollie Cook
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] $message_id is blank
On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Ollie Cook wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 11:50:50AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > The code also uses the existence of a message id to indicate "message
> > was received", so changing this would involve checking all those uses.
>
> Hi,
>
> In this case, does Exim consider a message "received" after the headers have
> been read in during the DATA phase (or other means if not SMTP), rather than
> after an affirmative response has been given at the end of that phase?

I've gone and confused you, I think. My comment was intended as a remark
about the necessary work involved to check that some things weren't
broken if a change was made. Using the word "received" isn't precise
enough. Please forget the above remark.

> For example, a message id is available at the point when the local_scan
> function is called, even if that will subsequently reject the message:

Yes. The message ID is generated immediately after the headers have been
successfully received, at the point when Exim needs to create the file
in which to store the body. That is, at the first moment when the ID is
needed. (If the message is abandoned, Exim clears the field before
returning from the receiving function.)