Re: [Exim] Spammer spoofing as a nonexistant user on my syst…

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Rick Duvall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Spammer spoofing as a nonexistant user on my system!
On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 17:01, Rick Duvall wrote:
> Is there any way to block
> messages that are to an address that doesn't exist? The only problem I see
> with doing that is that spammers could then connect to my port 25 and test
> until they find a good address.

They are effectively scanning you for addresses anyhow - accepting the
messages is just giving you the chance to pay for bandwidth etc.

For exim 3.x use the various receiver_verify options - see
    http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.30/doc/html/spec_11.html#SEC326

Control of this is better in exim 4. Adding sender verification also
gets rid of stuff from unroutable senders - although spammers just use
someone elses domain - ie yours.

    Nigel.