Re: [Exim] callout with three-way switch depending on the re…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Kevin P. Fleming
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] callout with three-way switch depending on the results?
On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Alan J. Flavell wrote:
>
> > So I'm interested to know if there's some way that I can distinguish
> > between an active response from the callout host, and the callout
> > having been declared a success because of a timeout in conjunction
> > with the defer_ok option. I've pored over the expansion variables to
> > see whether there's anything set which I can test, but I don't find
> > anything.
>
> As it stands today, no, I don't see a way you can do this.

Thanks for the reply...

> The ACL conditions
> don't have any way to support three-valued logic, and there aren't enough
> callout sub-options to tell it what to do in each of these cases.

Yes, the local discussions before I'd posted my query had pretty-much
understood that the ACL test itself, at least in its present form,
couldn't do that, but I was thinking maybe there would be an expansion
variable which could be tested in a subsequent "condition" ACL.

> In addition, even if there were additional callout sub-options, you'd have to
> have the callout repeated in multiple ACLs to handle the different possible
> results, and if the first callout times out, this will not be remembered and
> each additional callout will still be attempted. This is bad,

Indeed it would be, and one would want to avoid that. However, this is
all just theory at the moment, as you say, the actual machinery for
making this happen isn't there in quite the form that it would need.

Thanks for the ideas, anyway!

all the best.