Re: [Exim] $local_part in aliases

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
CC: Mark Edwards
Subject: Re: [Exim] $local_part in aliases
On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 06:26:14PM -0700, Mark Edwards wrote:
> According to FAQ Q0426 in the Exim 4 FAQ, it is possible to set an
> "expand" option in a redirect router to make it possible to have a
> string like $local_part in an alias file.

> However, when I try to add this option, I get panic errors when
> restarting exim. I don't see any mention of an "expand" option in the
> Redirect Routers section of the documentation.

[..]

Hello,
Me too. Seems to be an error in the FAQ[1], introduced when converting to
Exim v4 (exim v3 had an expand option on the aliasfile director).

Afaict there is simply no reason for such an option anymore, because
you can simply use a straightforward
data = ${expand:whateveryou_want_to_be_expanded}, for example
data = ${expand:${lookup{$local_part}lsearch*{/etc/aliases}}}.
           cu andreas
PS: convert4r4 handles it in exactly this way.
[1]
Suggested patch:
-If you want to do it that way, you can make it expand by setting the
-expand option on the redirect router.
+If you want to do it that way, you can use the "expand" operator on
+the lookup used in the data option of the redirect router.