Re: [Exim] Internal Mail

Author: Dennis Davis
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Internal Mail
>From: Tom Kistner <tom@???>
>To: William Thompson <wt@???>
>CC: Ron McKeating <R.J.Mckeating@???>,
>    "Exim-Users (E-mail)" <exim-users@???>
>Subject: Re: [Exim] Internal Mail
>Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:03:57 +0200

>William Thompson wrote:
>
>>>Add a condition like
>>>
>>>    !hosts = +relay_from_hosts

>>>BEFORE each "spam" condition.
>>

>> How about:
>>     accept hosts = +relay_from_hosts

>> at the very beginning?
>
>Yes, but since I do not know his exact ACL layout, this could have
>some side effects :)

In particular it wouldn't handle what I'm interested in doing. I
want to scan both incoming and outgoing mail through the gateways
for viruses. But only scan incoming email for spam[1]. Having:

accept hosts = +relay_from_hosts

near the front of the ACL would prevent the virus scanning of
outgoing email. And that would be bad news. Sometimes the first
sign of a virus-infected PC is it trying to mail viruses to the
outside world.

[1] I'm sure some of our users occasionally send spam.  However
    decisions on outgoing mail should be left to the recipient,
    not the sending MTA.  And that's for at least two reasons: (1)
    The recipient shouldn't be trusting any spam advice from the
    sending MTA, otherwise spammers could have a field day! (2) The
    recipient's spam checking criteria may be different from that in
    place on the sending MTA.