[Exim] Just another red rose to Exim

Top Pagina
Auteur: Tony Earnshaw
Aan: Exim
Onderwerp: [Exim] Just another red rose to Exim
List,

I have to support Postfix. Someone said I had to, because that's what
that someone wants. So, I've been learning it for the past 3 weeks or so.

There is an enormous number of Postfix users, with their own - huge
volume - list. Mostly I read it without comment, sometimes I explode on
it and vomit. Like when Postfix people talk rubbish, like saying that
Postfix is secure (without any other substantiation than that Wietse
Venema is a security expert,) but Exim isn't. There they are, running
their chrooted Postfix implementations on an unhardened this-or-that OS
and believe that rubbing garlic on their machines or making the sign of
the cross will protect them. I'm an Exim (4.20/SA-Exim 3.0) man and
always will be.

Now and again Postfix users come up with "good ideas" and I don't have
those implemented either in Postfix or Exim 4. So I try to implement
them in Postfix and then in Exim 4. Mostly implementing them in Exim is
a doddle, given Exim's debug possibilities and Philip's PCRE and
PCRETEST. I'm still trying to get Postfix to send mail to my Norwegian
bounce address and have it sent back again, finally I will (I have *no
idea* why a given so-called Postfix transport isn't available, but I'll
find out.) Postfix is full of black magic, together with amavisd-new it
costs hands full of memory and disk IO.

However, using black magic, Postfix has a number of things that Exim
doesn't have. Like using Cyrus SASL 2.1.13 and P* G*'s modified SASL
auxprop libraries (which no-one other than he or I seems to know about,)
Postfix 2.0.10 suddenly has every possible SASL AUTH possibility known
to mankind. Including using Openldap with clear text passwords as MD5
authentication base. Wish list: I'd love to see DIGEST-MD5, GSSAPI and
OTP AUTH in Exim, for example, in addition to what it has. I have those
in Postfix 2.0.10.

But all I wanted to say, really, is how grateful I am for Exim 4,
SA-Exim and this list :P

Best,

Tony

P.s. I bought the Exim 4 book and am reading it as one would read a
novel - "start at page 1, end on the last page." Might take a while.
Niall Mansfield is a proper gent.

--
Tony Earnshaw

There's none so daft as them as will not learn

http://j-walk.com/blog/docs/conference.htm
http://www.billy.demon.nl
Mail: tonni@???