Re: [Exim] Bugbear/B filtration

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Bugbear/B filtration
On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Dan Egli wrote:

> whopping 23% better compression with a solid RAR than with a zip file.
> Now considering that I am oft times connecting to a dialup, every KB
> that I can shave off a file means reduced transfer times. The file was
> 2MB+ as it was.

Which you're then going to bloat with the necessary encoding in order
to be able to send it via email?

Frankly, I would _much_ rather upload it to my web server, and send
the recipient details of its URL. HTTP is, after all, 8-bit clean and
thus does not require the bloat of mail-safe encoding.

And even if I think .tar.bz2 is the greatest format since sliced
bread, if someone asks me for a zip-encoded archive then that's what
I'll send them.

> I see your stand point, but I hope you can see mine.

OK; but in our situation, I assure you, we daren't back-off the
defences to the extent that you seem to be asking.

cheers