Re: [Exim] monitoring mail usage

Author: Yann Golanski
To: Andrew Thomson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] monitoring mail usage
--
Quoth Andrew Thomson on Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 17:55:58 +1000
> currently i have subject line logging turned on, so that's half way
> there. however i would like to start logging sent items of particular
> users.

I'd ask why but I feel the great management bulshit coming.

> also, is there anything funky that will parse my mainlog and give me a
> summary like:
>
> sender -> recipient
>
> If not, guess I'll have to draw on some "siphon the python" knowledge! ;)

Python, perl and all other scripting languages should NOT be used to
parse log files! They will kill your servers before you know what hit
you. It's like a nurse checking if her patients are asleep by using a
large spotlight and speaker. It does not work.

You should check the syntax of the log file and use C/C++ code for that.

--
yann@???                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   009D 7287 C4A7 FD4F 1680  06E4 F751 7006 9DE2 6318