RE: [Exim] Re: Question about MS Outlook 4 Windows

Author: Derrick MacPherson
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Re: Question about MS Outlook 4 Windows
exim-users-admin@??? wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:43:42AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
>> This is slightly off topic but I'll keep it short.
>>
>> Two years ago I banned the use of MS Outlook where I work (eff.org)
>> because it was far too vulnerable to viruses. We are using norton
>> systemworks and I'm filtering executables using one of the EXIM
>> filter scripts posted here. But at the time Outlook was not only the
>> prime target of viruses - but had a nasty way of self executing them
>> without the user having to open up attachments.
>>
>> But - 2 years have passed and I'm wondering if I should lift the ban
>> on outlook. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who is a Sys Admin
>> who has to deal with this issue.

Where I work most of the staff use a webmail client, or Outpuke and the
students all use webmail (Squirrelmail, might be replaced by @Mail
sometime). I run Sophos on the mail server, and it's ran on all the
desktop machines as well, and we have had a couple of very minor issues
over the last few years, nothing that has caused any problems that are
of note.

How about we take this a step further, there is just been raised a
request for Exchange to be used, mainly for it's contact and scheduling
features. Any suggested coujnter arguments would be greatly appreciated?
I would VERY much like to keep that bloatware out of the scenario. This
from high enough up the chain it's going to take a a very strong number
of arguments to make it go away. So, please, direct some comments to me,
and some counter suggestions and perhaps I can post back to the list
and/or put on a website...

Any and all suggestions and comments would be appreciated.