Re: [Exim] Question about MS Outlook 4 Windows

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Mike Richardson
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Question about MS Outlook 4 Windows
On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:43:42AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> This is slightly off topic but I'll keep it short.
>
> Two years ago I banned the use of MS Outlook where I work (eff.org)
> because it was far too vulnerable to viruses. We are using norton
> systemworks and I'm filtering executables using one of the EXIM filter
> scripts posted here. But at the time Outlook was not only the prime
> target of viruses - but had a nasty way of self executing them without
> the user having to open up attachments.
>
> But - 2 years have passed and I'm wondering if I should lift the ban on
> outlook. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who is a Sys Admin who has
> to deal with this issue.

We spent 5 figures and several months on brand new mail servers with
AV because we're moving to Outlook as the supported client. Outlook
is *by far* the biggest virus propogator on campus and most people
still use Pegasus and we have desktop AV software available for free to all
users.

We can tell people 'turn off the preview pane', 'don't open attachments
from sources you don't trust' and 'if you aren't certain ask the sender
before opening' but it really doesn't help that much.

Keep the ban if you can.

Mike.

--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2003       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing