Re: [Exim] All messages from "world" rejected

Top Pagina
Auteur: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Aan: exim users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] All messages from "world" rejected
On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 04:38:09PM -0500, C N Moore wrote:
> Messages are rejected with the rejectlog entry:
>
> "2003-06-01 23:58:56 H=fallback01.mail.atl.earthlink.net [207.69.200.240]
> F=<cnmoore@???> temporarily rejected RCPT
> $<chamoo@???>: failed to open /etc/aliases for linear search: Permission denied
> (euid=501 egid=500)"
>
> chamoo is a user on the system
>
> I wanted to test that chamoo could receive locally generated mail, but
> now, things that worked before no longer work. chamoo sent a message
> to cnmoore@??? which was duly received and a reply
> generated. (that on May 20)

And you subsequently changed the permissions on /, /etc or /etc/aliases
after doing that test, and then somehow, magically, it stopped working,
right?

> Repeated attempts to reply from mindspring are rejected with the same
> reason given.

Now, what does the "Permission denied" message tell you? Might it possibly
be that for some reason, whatever your user 501 and your gid 500 are, they
don't have some kind of permission to read /etc/aliases ?

> Now, chamoo is unable to send mail out (same message).

This would be because you have, perhaps, sender verification enabled in
your ACL, would I be correct?

> exim-4.10

Oh, and please try and make your message a little bit easier to read, if
you want people to help you. 75 chars is a good length for a line, and
reading error messages will help you in the future in trying to debug
problems.

MBM