[Exim] exim 3.36 authentication problem: child 13930 ended: …

Author: bolle
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] exim 3.36 authentication problem: child 13930 ended: status=0xb
Hello everybody! HELP!

I have a severe problem with authentication and exim 3.36

The server should accept authenticated senders for relaying, but somehow the
mail never gets through. It even doesn't log errors in the mainlog.
All senders are authenticated via PAM against a MYSQL-Database, that gets the
query and appearently answers it but then exim stops and the mail is stuck in
the mail-client.

the configuration in exim.conf is:

host_accept_relay = 127.0.0.1 : ::::1
..
host_auth_accept_relay = !127.0.0.1
505    plain:
506    driver = plaintext
507    public_name = PLAIN
508    server_condition = "${if pam{$2:$3}{yes}{no}}"
509    server_set_id = $2

and similar for the LOGIN-Authenticator.

The PAM-file consists of:

auth sufficient pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=secret host=localhost db=mail \
table=accountuser usercolumn=username passwdcolumn=password crypt=1
auth sufficient pam_unix_auth.so
account required pam_mysql.so user=mail passwd=secret host=localhost db=mail \
table=accountuser usercolumn=username passwdcolumn=password crypt=1
account sufficient pam_unix_acct.so

The database works fine (I think), it is also used for the aliases without
problems.

The only error-message I could get from the system was by starting exim with
-d9 and got:
Running PAM authentication for user "www0006"
child 13930 ended: status=0xb

Unluckiliy this doesn't mean anything to me...
I'm completely lost. For even an older question
(http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20010702/027430.html)
was of no help, I would be very glad if somebody here could provide a hint or
might be even a solution for this problem. I'm not even sure, if its an
exim-problem, but exim was the only part of the system that finally showed up
with a kind of error-message.

So: Please, please, please help me, help me!

Thank you in advance
Alexander