Re: [Exim] Exim's job ?

Autor: Seb
A: exim-users
CC: Jochen Erwied
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim's job ?
Hello !

| S> 'mailq' does not mention the hundreds of mails I tried to send.

| Look inside mainlog or rejectlog if the mails were really received
| by domain.fr

The mails appear in these files. More precisely:

* If I limit host_accept_relay to 127.0.0.1, then I get in rejectlog:
    2003-06-02 13:36:45 refused relay (host) to <seb@???> from
    <seb@???> H=tintagel (ICARE) [IP address]

* If host_accept_relay is 127.0.0.1:home.fr, but I comment out the line
relay_domains, I get in mainlog:
    2003-06-02 13:37:53 SMTP command timeout on connection from tintagel
    (ICARE) [IP address]

* If host_accept_relay is 127.0.0.1:home.fr and relay_domains is
home.fr:domain.fr, then no message shows up either in mainlog or in
rejectlog. No, wait ! It does appear in mainlog, only with a delay of
5 minutes:
    2003-06-02 13:55:41 SMTP command timeout on connection from tintagel
    (ICARE) [IP address]

I guess that is the problem ? Does it point to a fix ?

BTW, I find this in rejectlog:

    2003-06-02 11:33:00 refused relay (host) to <china9988@???> from
    <china9988 @21cn.com> H=(smtp2) [211.194.117.163] (failed to find host
    name from IP address )

It worries me a bit that the reason given to refuse relaying is a simple
mismatch between domain name and IP address; I would have expected
something more in the line of what I get from home.fr (refused relay).
Is it the standard and desired behaviour, or am I having a big hole in
exim.conf ?

Moreover, I just found out that if I disable authentication in the
Windows-based client (home.fr), it does not show an error message when
connecting to domain.fr . Did I miss something ?

| S> So I'm wondering: it is really Exim's job to receive the mail sent from
| S> home.fr ? If it is, what should I activate that I did not think of ? If
| S> it is not, would a kind soul tell me what program I should install ?

| Try using telnet to deliver a mail:
| telnet domain.fr 25
| helo home.fr
| mail from:<you@???>
| rcpt to:<you@???>
| data
| Subject: Test

| .
| quit

| If this doesn't work, is your provider using a configuration where
| outgoing port 25 is blocked or redirected to their own server? You
| should see this if you try delivering by hand as above. The banner
| appearing after the telnet should be your machine.

Using telnet works fine. Mail is delivered to home.fr and the headers
confirm that the mail was indeed created at domain.fr. It also works if
I try sending it to domain.fr.

Thanks for your help !
Seb.