Re: [Exim] misconfigured mail server

Author: Torsten Mueller
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] misconfigured mail server

Rossz Vamos-Wentworth schrieb:

> I got 448 of these over a two day period. When I noticed it, I
> emailed the provider and blocked the specific ip address with
> iptables. It took me two days to notice the problem because it
> started late at night and I was away from my computers most of the
> following day:
>
> May 29 18:32:19 vife exim: 2003-05-29 18:32:19 rejected HELO
> from [65.205.75.34]: syntactically invalid argument(s):
> svr_nt40.pinnacle.com
>
> So what does this mean, exactly?

svr_nt40 is invalid because of the '_' .
There were discussions weeks (or months) ago, if to allow
underscores or not, because there are lazy Windows admin around,
who don't keep an eye on RFC conform hostnames.

If you are an admin, who decides to be RFC conform, leave your
exim config untouched.
If you need to get mail from such hosts, as you have clients,
who don't "want to understand the need for RFCs" put in your
exim.conf
helo_allow_chars = _

Torsten