Re: [Exim] primary_hostname

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Andreas Metzler
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] primary_hostname
On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 10:40:49AM -0800, Rossz Vamos-Wentworth wrote:
> Mail servers are getting a little more aggressive about who
> connects and rejecting when a rDNS doesn't match. According to
> the RFC, the static ip address can be used in the HELO/EHLO
> instead of the domain string, which is what I wish to do since the
> "official" domain is a rather unwieldy looking string (adsl-67-116-35-
> 65.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net). When specifying the ip, is the syntax
> this:

>     primary_hostname = 1.2.3.4
> or this:
>     primary_hostname = [1.2.3.4]

> I read something about square brackets required in the HELO, but
> it wasn't clear.

Brackets are required[1], but you don't want to mangle primary_hostname,
see below.

> Also, is primary_hostname used for anything else besides the
> default for qualifying_hostname?

Received headers, smtp_banner, Message-ID: header.

You are looking for helo_data.
               cu andreas
PS: Whoever rejects mails on the contents of ehlo (not the syntax)
also breaks a MUST in rfc2822 4.1.4.

[1] quoting rfc2822:
3.6: The domain name given in the EHLO command MUST BE either a
primary host name (a domain name that resolves to an A RR) or, if the
host has no name, an address literal as described in section 4.1.1.1.

4.1.1.1: In situations in which the SMTP client system does not have
a meaningful domain name (e.g., when its address is dynamically
allocated and no reverse mapping record is available), the client
SHOULD send an address literal (see section 4.1.3),

4.1.3: To bypass this barrier a special literal form of the address is
allowed as an alternative to a domain name. For IPv4 addresses, this
form uses four small decimal integers separated by dots and enclosed
by brackets such as [123.255.37.2]