[Exim] host lists (hostnames) and reverse but no forward DNS

Author: Christian Balzer
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] host lists (hostnames) and reverse but no forward DNS
Hello,

my aim to make the subject lines as usable as possible for future
mail archive hunters produces some strange results, sorry for that.

What I'm looking at (and a search in the archives didn't reveal a
past discussion about it) is that when you have a host list that
includes (wildcard) host names, those host names will NOT be matched
based on the result of the reverse lookup alone. Seems like when there
is no forward entry for result of the reverse lookup at all, it will
fail completely. Which is a pity as a lot of spam (well, open proxy
and relays) abused pools have working reverse, but spotty or no
forward DNS (go figure).

Real life example from the local rejecthosts list:
---
^.*\.user.veloxzone.com.br$
---

Alas (output from 3.x test machine, 4.20 on the production machines
behaves the same):
---
looking up host name for 200.164.22.136
IP address lookup yielded ba022136.user.veloxzone.com.br
no IP address found for ba022136.user.veloxzone.com.br
host in host_reject_recipients? no (failed to find host name or lookup deferred)
---

Could we please (with sugar and cream on top) have something along
the lines of a "+reverse_only" option for host lists?

Regards,

Christian Balzer
--
Christian Balzer        Network Engineer        Engineering
chibi@???       Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services