Re: [Exim] Unqualified Mail-Followup-To

Author: David Fokkema
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Unqualified Mail-Followup-To
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:34:48PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> David Fokkema wrote:
>
> >I'd rather have my MTA handle _all_ unqualified addresses. Because exim
> >does such a good job of this, I don't have to tell all users to fix
> >their mutt config with things like set from = "dfokkema@???". The
> >only problem is that exim ignores the Mail-Followup-To header.
>
> Why should exim know or care about Reply-To, Mail-Followup-To etc?
>
> If your users are incapable of rolling their own .muttrc, give them a
> /etc/Muttrc or a readymade .muttrc that you drop in when you provision
> their accounts. Or give them pine (or maybe outlook).

My problem is that these are not uncommon headers which can contain
unqualified addresses. I, as a regular user, did not write a .muttrc to
deal with this situation (I didn't know about this) and since exim
ignored them they were sent out to the net. On the net, people were
complaining to me about my mta not rewriting addresses. Since my address
_was_ rewritten by the server murphy.debian.org, I know that it must be
possible and I know for sure that it will save users (and the net) the
(minor) trouble of dealing with this.

David