Re: [Exim] Help with ldap and pam based authentication

Autor: Tony Earnshaw
A: Chris Hamilton
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Help with ldap and pam based authentication
tir, 20.05.2003 kl. 21.09 skrev Chris Hamilton:

> (I am not on the list as it is too high a volume, could anyone replying
> please cc me, thanks!)

If you think the Exim list is high volume, you should try to keep up
with both it and the Postfix list at the same time (plus all the others
:-)

> I have a little project where I am trying to allow multiple people to
> send as specific 'shared emails'. Under my scheme I have pam
> authenticating users as usualy for smtp:

Just a tip: With Exim you can build SASL authenticators and search
routines directly into Exim 4 without going the way of PAM. This is
*much more straightforward* than PAM-based authenticators, obviating
/etc/pamd.d, /etc/ldap.conf and having to go via-via for everything.
Make use of this! Writing Exim authenticators is almost as simple as
using ldapsearch.

With Postfix SASL authenticators, for example, you have to use the
excruciatingly painful workaround of configuring saslauthd to use PAM,
having an /etc/pam.d/smtp file, using /etc/ldap.conf and doing a tail -f
on slapd.log the whole time to find out exactly why everything is going
wrong.

Best,

Tony

--