Re: [Exim] smtp authentication w/ldap - still struggling

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] smtp authentication w/ldap - still struggling
ons, 21.05.2003 kl. 00.53 skrev Jonathan Vanasco:

> i'm still struggling to get smtp authentication working for a virtual
> server.. my latest attempt is the following which, in theory, i can't
> see why it would fail
>
> the login name is the same as email address, and at times seems to
> return correct passwords based on debugging -- but nothing is
> authenticating.

Jonathan,

Your authenticator was so horribly spread out that I scrubbed quoting it
:-)
However, a general remark: The string that you use for authenticating
should be the exact string that you use for the DN. I.e., if it works
with ldapsearch -x -D etc, it will work with Exim 4 (I just tried it for
you both with Exim 4.20 and ldapsearch and confirmed this.)

My DNs start with "cn" as first rDN, so I can't use the mail attribute
to authenticate with. If my first rDN were "mail", instead of "cn", then
I could authenticate with it.

Don't forget that the AUTH PLAIN string should be in base64 as described
in spec.txt.

So, the following works for me:

fixed_plain:
  driver              = plaintext
  public_name         = PLAIN
  #server_advertise_condition = ${if eq{$tls_cipher}{}{no}{yes}}
  server_debug_print  = yes
  server_condition    = ${if ldapauth \

{user="cn=${quote_ldap:$2},ou=people,ou=groups,dc=billy,dc=demon,dc=nl"
\
    pass="$3" \
    ldaps://localhost/\
    }\