Re: [Exim] Major spam problems...

Autor: William Thompson
A: Chris Dollmont
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Major spam problems...

#1 deleted

> 2) On the incoming mail server, we've deprecated all but a couple of
> the user@??? addresses. I put:

So, you only want mail to a few addresses to be accepted in domain2.com?

> receiver_verify
> receiver_verify_addresses = /etc/exim/valid.recipients

Looks like exim 3.x I recommend an upgrade to 4.14 or 4.20

> In valid.recipients I have:
>
> *.domain1.com
> user@???

receiver_verify_addresses means that it will *ONLY* verify recipients listed
here, it doesn't stop all but these addresses.

> Mail for anyuser@??? is still coming in and being processed,
> though. We'd like it rejected at this point (a firewall gateway).

Since you're using exim 3.x, you'll have to add a director to block all but
a few. Read the spec.

> Am I overlooking something simple? This is becoming a real problem
> because each of thousands of messages a day is being run through
> Spamassassin, which is boosting the load on my poor server. If I can
> stop the messages at the gateway in problem 2), I can reduce the load
> considerably. Problem 1) has the effect of making my queues huge and
> hard to handle from and administration standpoint.

You probably should turn on sender callout verification on your gateway.
Look for the options. I recall you had to set more than 1 to enable it on
3.x

I don't maintain any 3.x servers anymore and I don't have the documentation
available.