[Exim] Where are bounced back messages going???

Author: Reggie Virmani
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Where are bounced back messages going???
Dear List,
    I am current using exim 4.0. I have fetchmail to retrieve email
outside my local domain. Since aol blocked most dynamic mail servers,  I
updated my the configure script in the routers section to use manual
routing for email addresses outside my local domain.

send_to_smart_host:
driver=manualroute
#route_list = aol.com mail.optonline.net
route_list = !+local_domains mail.optonline.ne
transport = remote_smtp

The problem I am having is that when I send mail outside my local domain
and the mail is undeliverable, exim does not get it, and I cannot get any
bounce back messages. Also when I use the mail command, mmdf for some
reason transports the mail and the mmdf daemon isnt even running. How can
I give exim full control of this actions?

Regards,
Reggie