Re: [Exim] availability of 'routed' address in local_scan

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ollie Cook
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] availability of 'routed' address in local_scan
On Mon, 19 May 2003, Ollie Cook wrote:

> Not only would it be wasteful to make the same database queries again, it seems
> to me that Exim has already performed routing through verification of the RCPT
> TO addresses during the SMTP conversation. Is it perhaps possible, therefore,
> to make the results of the routing process available somehow to the local_scan
> function?

One thing you can do is to set the $address_data variable in your final
router. The value of $address_data is available back in the ACL. You can
then put it into a header line that your local_scan sees (and removes).

This is kludgy, but it might work...

> Perhaps the presentation could be each item in the recipients_list array
> containing a pointer to another array of post-routing recipient_item
> structures?

The difficulty is that Exim doesn't really work like this. Routing for
verification might not be the same as routing for delivery. Equally,
routing might expand one address into many children.

> Thinking of alternative solutions to the same problem, is there some way of
> expanding "some@???" into what it would be routed to?

It could be routed to rather a lot of different things!