Re: [Exim] how to use smtp with exim

Autor: Suresh Ramasubramanian
A: Sam Rosenfeld
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] how to use smtp with exim
At 11:29 AM 5/19/2003 -0400, Sam Rosenfeld wrote:
>Thanks for your response. At some point, probably many months ago, Fetchmail
>was indeed fetching mail from my ISP and storing it in my /var/mail/Inbox. I
>have tried many, many times to retrace my steps and to troubleshoot my mail
>subsystem, but I have failed to do so successfully. Your advice (above) is to
>"Use fetchmail to receive (my) mail". But I don't know how to do that,
>and the
>error messages I get when trying to run fetchmail imply that I may have a
>smarthost/smtp problem.

Then start from http://www.hserus.net/dlhowto.html and run fetchmail -v to
see what's turning up.

I guess you have to declare your local machine name and/or localhost as a
local domain in your exim config, so that all the stuff that fetchmail
sends to your account doesn't get routed over to your smarthost when it
hands off to exim on localhost:25