Re: [Exim] I wish HELO had never been thought of!

Top Pagina
Auteur: Giuliano Gavazzi
Aan: moseley, exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] I wish HELO had never been thought of!
At 7:22 -0700 2003/05/16, moseley@??? wrote:
>On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 02:46:27PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
>
>> > I could setup a smarthost, but I use the laptop on different networks.
>>
>> I think smarthost is probably the "right" approach. You might be able
>> to configure Exim so that it automatically chooses the right smarthost.
>
>"might" as in "I'm not sure of your expertise with exim" or in "I'm not sure
>myself how to do it?" If the first, right I don't know how to automatically
>pick a smarthost, but if it's the second, well I'm in trouble... ;)
>
>There is the rare case where there is not a smarthost available like at a
>conference that provides wireless access. Of course, that's placing a lot
>of trust in the wireless users not to use that for spamming.
>
>I asked this a few days ago without response, but can I setup exim to use a
>defined HELO? I tried using primary_hostname but ended up with frozen
>messages:
>
> 2003-05-14 08:19:03 moseley@??? R=lookuphost defer (-1):
> remote host address is the local host
> *** Frozen

1) laptop.hank.org has no MX record.
2) laptop.hank.org has no A record.

how is this deliverable? (Ah, but you said there is an A record behind the nat)
laptop.hank.org should be in the local_domains list.

Also, you ask how you do with your EHLO as you are behind a NAT.
Well, your nat is 63.205.225.170, so create an A record for
laptop.hank.org pointing to that address. Then you are RFC compliant
(although not strictly, as the address will point to a different
server, but nobody will ever know).

If you move your laptop to other networks and still want to send
email, then your laptop is NOT the right machine to host the smtp
server.
Use your mailserver at mail.hank.org!

Anyway, your EHLO would be fine by my rule as the second level domain
(hank) is the same in the EHLO and the PTR record. Unfortunately my
rule is too generic for domains like .co.uk and so on.

Giuliano
--
H U M P H
    || |||

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/