Re: [Exim] I wish HELO had never been thought of!

Página Inicial
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: moseley
CC: Giuliano Gavazzi, Phil Chambers, exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] I wish HELO had never been thought of!
On Fri, 16 May 2003 moseley@??? wrote:

> So what's the proper exim setup when machines are on a NAT'ed network?
>
> This laptop I'm using right now sends out HELO laptop.hank.org which there
> is no A record for (there is on the NAT side, but that's a different story).

RFC 2821 says this:

4.1.1.1 Extended HELLO (EHLO) or HELLO (HELO)

These commands are used to identify the SMTP client to the SMTP
server. The argument field contains the fully-qualified domain name
of the SMTP client if one is available. In situations in which the
SMTP client system does not have a meaningful domain name (e.g., when
its address is dynamically allocated and no reverse mapping record is
available), the client SHOULD send an address literal (see section
4.1.3), optionally followed by information that will help to identify
the client system.

So you should send some kind of address literal, but exactly what what
should be, I'm not sure.

> I could setup a smarthost, but I use the laptop on different networks.

I think smarthost is probably the "right" approach. You might be able
to configure Exim so that it automatically chooses the right smarthost.