Re: [Exim] Exim 4.20 RPMs available

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Neal D. Becker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.20 RPMs available
On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 13:58, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> I'm looking at the srpm to build on rh9. I see some problems.
>
> 1) Conflicts: sendmail, postfix, qmail
> Obsoletes: sendmail, postfix, qmail
>
> I believe this should be removed, with rh9 we have the alternatives package.

True. I have never got round to investigating that - and the package
builds on RH6 upwards which makes integrating alternatives more complex.

> I, along with some other exim srpm authors, use mail for exim user and group,
> instead of a seperate exim user. exim user serves no purpose here, and only
> causes problems.

Disagree - the MTA should not share a UID/GID with the mail spool.
I have tacit agreement from some of the RH people that 93 is a reserved
uid/gid value.
In any case converting is a pain - you have to ensure that all the spool
and logs and possibly other bits are chowned at install time.

> Also, the srpm should build in any case.

Thats an overall exim build issue. I may see about making the uid/gid
values numeric but that will break under other circumstances.

It probably needs to be pointed out that the RPM set are built for my
own use and to some extent I'm not really bothered about the rest of the
world [although the db & perl versions are not used in house].

    Nigel.