Re: [Exim] I wish HELO had never been thought of!

Author: moseley
To: Giuliano Gavazzi
CC: Phil Chambers, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] I wish HELO had never been thought of!
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:27:36AM +0100, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> 1: HELO dns consistency (PTR second level domain consistent with HELO
> or A of HELO = ip address)
>
> What I would ask is that mailservers' administrators took a bit more
> care in the HELO and DNS setup of their domain, unlike btinternet
> that has some servers HELOing with a host name ("plutonium" for
> instance), and this is trapped by rule 2...

So what's the proper exim setup when machines are on a NAT'ed network?

This laptop I'm using right now sends out HELO laptop.hank.org which there
is no A record for (there is on the NAT side, but that's a different story).

I could setup a smarthost, but I use the laptop on different networks.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@???