Re: [Exim] Is it just me, or can't exim count? :)

Author: Chris Knipe
To: exim-users
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Is it just me, or can't exim count? :)
> > Erm, it still doesn't count the current connections right in the log
files?

> That may be a problem. I've looked at the code, and it seems simple
> enough. When the daemon successfully creates a subprocess, it remembers
> the pid and ups the count. When it reaps the completed subprocess, it
> decreases the count.
>
> However, the outputting of the log line occurs in the subprocess, and
> there is therefore the possibility of a race. The count that the
> subprocess has is the value when it was created - the value that the
> daemon has could change before the suprocess logs its copy. In this
> case, the effect is to print an out-of-date value, but it shouldn't
> affect the use of the count for controlling the total, etc.

Sweet! At least now I know that I wasn't going mad, insane, or lost enough
brain cells not to setup PAT correctly :) As I said right at the beginning,
nothing serious, just a small coding glitch. Presumably, fixed in the next
version...

It doesn't affect anything really - except for inaccurate log files
(depending on how valuable such a counter would be in a log for a admin).
Nevertheless, I'm glad I brought this up, and happy to have it fixed...

--
me