Re: [Exim] mime (rfc-2047) decode patch

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Norihisa Washitake
A: Michael Haardt, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] mime (rfc-2047) decode patch
Hi Michael,

I am so sorry I haven't answer you for a week, in which exim 4.20
has been released.

On 2003/05/07 20:03:58, Michael Haardt wrote:

> > Yes, I wish I knew that before. I will scour it.
> > (but, wait, where is it?)
>
> http://www.moria.de/~michael/sieve/

I took a look at your sieve.c, and have some disagreement with you.

1.  MIME encoded headers are NOT always shorter than 76 characters
    long, though it's a violation of RFC.  Many ISO-2022-* mailers
    do this indeed.  (eg. line 741, 747 in function expand_header.)

2.  exim has its own Base64 decoding function in auths/b64decode.c.
    Should we use the new one or the old one?  What do you say about
    having auths/qpdecode.c? (I'll say no, though)

3.  How about separating sieve's string functions to another file,
    so that other patch authors could use it?

> > I did not think of =00 (but it does not result in buffer overflow).
>
> It should not terminate the string, either. This is the issue that
> was discussed on this list before: The Exim string model. As it is,
> Exim uses an explicit length count in many places, but not everywhere.
> If headers are automatically converted, =00 should decode to \0,
> thus enforcing that Exim is able to deal with it. Using a string data
> structure that contains a length and capacity count would remove many
> explicit variables from Exim and make the code easier to understand,
> but it is also quite some work.

Okay I see. I respect your opinion, as I'm rather new to this list.
But we should replace '\0' to '\\0' or '.' or something for the
usability.

> I know, but it should be up to the admin to ensure that iconv can
> process MIME character set names. HP-UX 11 only requires to add
> some character set aliases. Of course you could also link against GNU
> libiconv.

As you know, HAVE_ICONV is now in exim's official header.
I will check it.

--
Norihisa Washitake.
Dept of Earth Sciences, Sci, The University of Tokyo