[Exim] Including reason in Custom Warnings & reject on HELO

Author: moseley
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Including reason in Custom Warnings & reject on HELO
I'm running Exim 3.36 on Debian. (I see the 3.x docs are now called
Obsolete on the website.)

I have a message in stuck in my mailq on my laptop, which is on a NAT'ed
network.

The msglog shows:

2003-05-13 23:08:15 xxxxx@??? T=remote_smtp defer (0): SMTP error
from remote mailer after HELO laptop.hank.org: host iso.utah.edu
[128.110.1.131]: 450 <laptop.hank.org>: Helo command rejected: Host not
found

Looking over 39.2 Customizing warning messages I didn't see a way to include
this message in the warning. Is it possible to create a template that gives
the reason found in the msglog?

I'm sure the value of validating HELO is commonly discussed/debated.

From the docs it seems like I should set primary_hostname to resolve this so
that I'm sending a hostname that will resolve with HELO.

But I see two problems:

First, primary_hostname is used in the Received: header and I'd like the
this case "laptop.hank.org".

Is there another way to set the HELO text?

The other problem is setting primary_hostname = hank.org and then sending a
message

laptop: $ echo "test" | mail moseley@???

results in a frozen message

2003-05-14 08:19:03 moseley@??? R=lookuphost defer (-1): remote host address is the local host
*** Frozen

but without setting primary_hosname the message is delivered locally.

I find the NAT'ing with mail a bit confusing, I guess.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@???