Re: [Exim] verify = recipient/callout

Author: Matt Bernstein
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] verify = recipient/callout
At 10:05 +0100 Philip Hazel wrote:

><snip>
>
>> However, on my system (exim4.14, solaris8) , the recipient callout simply
>> does MAIL FROM: <> just like it does when verifying senders.
>
>This is a bug in the manual. The code doesn't seem to have ever done
>anything else.

I would actually like the sender to be used in a special case of callout,
namely when it's to my Cyrus LMTP daemon. This would allow my users' Sieve
scripts to give a customised SMTP (as called-forward-from) rejection
tailored to the return-path.

I think this would be a very powerful feature. I'm using callout with some
success for rejecting unrouteable addresses (hint: you must use a
manualroute router rather than an accept router!), but it has a rather
icky side-effect when users have forward files, as the callout seems to go
that far! Not top of my list to fix atm though, as our local users ought
to be using authenticated SMTP..

>True. Also, what if the target host is itself using callouts to verify
>the envelope sender? One wants to avoid callout cascades.

Indeed, but (as my example above I hope shows) when carefully used it
could be quite useful. Not something I'm desperate for, though!

Matt