[Exim] Exim 3.3x -> 4.1.x conversion difficulty?

Author: Jonathan Rogers
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Exim 3.3x -> 4.1.x conversion difficulty?
This is likely a FAQ, but I can't find it in the FAQs. :)

I'm running an Exim 3.36 system right now, supporting half a dozen different
domains with various custom alias files and (IIRC) lots of initial
hair-pulling to get the transports and directors configurations the way I
needed them.

- How big should I expect the conversion task to be to move my exim.conf
from 3.3x to 4.1.x?

- How good/extensive are the automated tools that can assist this process?
Will they just give up when they hit something they can't deal with (which
would be fine) or do they take their best shot
(meaning I really need to go over what they did with a fine-tooth-comb)?

- Any pointers anyone can give me to online references answering any of the
above?

thanks much!