Re: [Exim] question on relaying / spam

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Hanasaki JiJi
CC: List - Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] question on relaying / spam
On Sun, 11 May 2003, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:

> would you take a look at at the below situation and let me know what you
> think and how it can be dealt with?
>
> Thanks.
>
> mail server for domain "mydomain.com"
> someone telnets to the server and sends the following info:

> From: joseph Mobutu Sese-Seko <josephmobutu700@???>
> To: 3e5c23c4.8040501@???
>
> exim determins "3e5c23c4.8040501@???: Unrouteable address" and
> attempts to return the email to the "return path" thus sending a spam to
> josephmobutu700@???

This is known as "collateral spam". Sadly, it has become very common.
There is very little you can do about it.

Note: This is no different to real paper mail. I can put an envelope
into a post box that has a non-existent address on the front, and
"From: your postal address" on the back, and the mail services will
probably eventually deliver it to you rather than me.