[Exim] Re: traceability of e-mail vs. stupid DNS tricks.... …

Author: Greg A. Woods
To: Tony Finch
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: [Exim] Re: traceability of e-mail vs. stupid DNS tricks.... (was: -t and Resent- header lines)
[ On Thursday, May 8, 2003 at 16:20:27 (+0100), Tony Finch wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] -t and Resent- header lines
>
> Digression: The anti-spam research group has been arguing a lot about
> improving the traceability of email. One of their suggestions is to
> add an RR type to the DNS similar to MX records but for email emitters
> rather than receivers. Email from a machine that isn't listed as one of
> the return path's domain's email emitters is therefore obviously forged.
> However this idea interacts badly with .forward files since they send
> email on without changing the return path. The general opinion seems to
> be that the mailing list BCP of changing the return path when forwarding
> the email should be applied to all forwardings. However this changes
> the way you must deal with bounces that result from .forwardings...
> Anyway, my point is that perhaps Exim might optionally do the Resent-
> thing for redirects when changing the return path.

That's not the only problem with that very stupid and counter-productive
suggestion.

Those "anti-spam research" guys really don't have a clue what they're
talking about when it comes to SMTP, DNS, and basic networking, and are
only grasping at the few straws they think they can see (which only
demonstrates how desparate they are).

--
                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods@???>;           <woods@???>