Re: [Exim] exim -bs and illegal senders

Author: Jochen Erwied
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim -bs and illegal senders
on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 11:46 you wrote:

PH> I presume you mean -bS rather than -bs.

Of course.

PH> What would you do with an illegal sender?

Actually I'd like an option for not verifying envelope-senders when being
invoked as rsmtp. A better alternative would be a list of additional
allowed characters for sender_address_local_part, as in helo_allow_chars.

PH> Either you must pre-validate the input, or you'll need to write a
PH> program to read the BSMTP and feed it to Exim interactively, using -bs.
PH> Then you can catch each error as it happens, and do whatever you want.

I helped myself replacing the link of rsmtp with a script which mangles the
illegal characters to legal ones and calling exim -bS afterwards. This is
not the most elegant way to do it, but it seems to work.

The new rsmtp-script looks like:

sed "/^MAIL FROM:</y/;:/__/;s/^MAIL FROM_/MAIL FROM:/" | exim -bS

This effectively kills source-routing, but who uses it anyway.

Any perl-hacker there who can write the above line as oneliner to modify
just the localpart?

--
Jochen Erwied     | home: jochen@???     +49-208-38800-18, FAX: -19
Sauerbruchstr. 17 | work: joe@???  +49-2151-7294-24, FAX: -50