Re: [Exim] Invalid Sender: headers

Top Pagina
Auteur: Phil Chambers
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Invalid Sender: headers
On Wed, 7 May 2003 10:35:54 +0100 (BST) Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 May 2003, Phil Chambers wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I should have been more precise. What I have is:
> >
> > acl_smtp_data = check_message
> > .
> > .
> > check_message:
> >   require message = Invalid message header: $acl_verify_message
> >           verify = header_syntax
> >   require message = Invalid message sender: $acl_verify_message
> >           verify = header_sender

> > In both cases $acl_verify_message is empty if the verify part fails.
>
> Alan also pointed out that you have to set smtp_return_error_details in
> order to get the extra detail. Does that help?

I have tried smtp_return_error_details and that improves matters. I had not tried
it because the wording in ChangeLog implied that this option caused the SMTP errors
returned during callout to be carried over. Having an unqualified address in the
Sender: does not seem to me to be anything to do with callout.

I said "improves matters" above because I find I need to do some tweeking of the
message to get a reasonable wrapping of the SMTP 550 response. Exim breaks long
messages into multi-line responses and sometimes the final line has very little in
it. I find some MTAs and MUAs only return the final 550 line to the user, so it is
important to try to make that as informative as possible.

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter