[Exim] exim3 callbacks vs "promiscuous" smarthost

Author: Vineet Kumar
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] exim3 callbacks vs "promiscuous" smarthost
Hello,

I noticed on one of my secondary MXes a lot of spam hanging around in
the queue. All of my hosts use smtp callbacks for sender verification,
but this particular host is configured to send all of its mail through
the ISP's smarthost.

The smarthost doesn't do any sort of callouts for recipient verification
when accepting mail to relay, so the effect is that all of my MX's
callbacks appear "successful", so it accepts the mail. Of course, then
it never makes it to my primary host, since its callbacks correctly
reject the spam.

Does anyone know if there's a way to specify that callbacks should be
sent directly (via the lookuphost router) while all outgoing "real"
mail should be sent through the smarthost? I haven't found a way to
craft such a routers configuration yet, nor documentation telling me
it's impossible. If anyone knows that it's impossible, let me know
that, too, so I can stop spinning my wheels trying to figure it out!

Thanks,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/