Re: [Exim] Forwarding SMTP AUTH (RFC 2554)

Author: Mike Richardson
To: Everton da Silva Marques
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Forwarding SMTP AUTH (RFC 2554)
On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 05:20:48PM -0300, Everton da Silva Marques wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 11:02:21PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> > At 02:14 PM 5/5/2003 -0300, Everton da Silva Marques wrote:
> > >Thus, I hope Exim's support for SMTP AUTH provides a way to
> > >forward the authentication request to another server. I mean,
> > >in order to evaluate an SMTP AUTH request, Exim would
> > >repeat the same request to another server; if that server
> > >accepts the authentication, then Exim should also
> > >permit the relay.
> >
> > LDAP or MySQL db on the remote server?
>
> No. AFAIK, the users db is stored in a proprietary file
> format. The only way I can think for querying the db
> data is through the SMTP AUTH mechanism.

Messy but possible:

The exim authenticator's server condition should be able to check the output
of an external command (I'm sure someone will correct me if it can't) so
write a perl script which runs against the SMTP AUTH system sending commands
(based on input from the exim process) and parsing the output. Shouldn't be
too difficult :-)

Mike
--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2003       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing