Re: [Exim] Limiting Message size

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: nvddussen
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Limiting Message size
Nico van der Dussen wrote:

> At this time I do not see the need (or use) to implement my limits in the
> DATA ACL as well - as suggested on the list.

You do not know the $message_size while running through the data-acl,
this is an extension for SMTP, that allows the sending server to say
"Well, I've 10M of data for you, tell me NOW if you don't want them"

But the sending server does not need to send it. So, the $message_size
CAN be know when your acl_smtp_rcpt runs, but in some cases you don't
know it before your data-acl. FURTHER, the sending server can lie about
the size (I don't know how exim reacts in this case). That means, the
sender says "I've 1000 bytes for you, do you want them?" - Your server
answers "Well, 1000 bytes, no problem, I'll take them" - the sender gets
a big evil grin on his face, and sends you 20 MB now, and you'll NOT
know the size before the sender finished, and your data-acl starts.

Does this make clear why you have to check it in your data_acl too?

Nico