[Exim] exim unable to receive mail from remote hosts

Página Inicial
Autor: Marc Demlenne
Para: exim-users
Assunto: [Exim] exim unable to receive mail from remote hosts
Hi,

I havn't found any relevant answer on the faq concerning my trouble.
Maybe i havn't search enought. I'm sorry in this case...

I have exim(3.35) running on a Debian Woody box (say it's hostname is A).

- Locally, everything works perfectly well. I'm able to send e-mails to
any address, including local ones (user@A).
The local user is also able to receive the mail that have been sent
locally to him...

- From a remote host (say B), i'm UNable to send any mail on my debian box,
running exim (user@A). The question is : WHY ?

The error message returned to the sender (sender@B) is that there were a
connection timeout on the remote smtp server (A, so my debian box)

Actually, a "telnet A 25" from B also gives me a "connect timeout"...

On A, however, smtp seems to listen correctly on port 25 :
  - local delivrery are ok
  - netstat informs me that exim 's listening on port 25, on all
    interfaces, and not only local one (*:smtp  *:* LISTEN exim)
    the "local_interfaces" directive is commented in exim.conf
    (I'm NOT using inetd, but have tried with it, and the trouble was
    exactly the same)

I've also a firewall filtering my box. But port 25 is left open.
Furthermore, each dropped packet is logged, and none of them concern
smtp traffic. So it's not the reason of the trouble.

So, can someone help me, explaining what could happen ?

Thanx a lot.
And sorry for my poor english...

--
Marc