Re: [Exim] Callout

Author: William Thompson
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Callout
> >Anyone have any dealings with callouts and mailservers that do this:
> >
> >220 powers.com Server ESMTP ready at Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:06:59 -0400
> >EHLO mail
> >250-That hostname is inconsistent with your address to name mapping.
> >250-powers.com expected "EHLO internal-bristol34.naxs.com"
> >250-8BITMIME
> >250 HELP
> >MAIL FROM:<>
> >550 Sorry, This host requires a FQDN portion in the "From:" field
> ><connection dropped here>
> >

> >How do you others handle this? Add them to an exception list, block
> >them, ignore it ??
>
> Block them for being mucking forons

That I'd agree with =)

> 1. Expecting MAIL FROM:<>

> 2. Wanting to match HELO with your rDNS

Personally, matching HELO to the IP (HELO name resolve to the caller's IP)
is ok, but I wouldn't do it since I know too many hosts aren't like that or
there's numberous servers.

> Oh btw, you shouldn't really be emitting mail with a HELO like "mail" - I
> would suggest reconfiguring your exim (primary_hostname) to call itself
> mail.electro-mechanical.com or whatever.

I telnetted to it to do that. the "EHLO mail" came from me (it didn't
matter, the server does use mail.electro-mechanical.com)