[Exim] How come exim is still not my MTA after changing /usr…

Author: Wei Wang
To: Exim-users
Subject: [Exim] How come exim is still not my MTA after changing /usr/sinb/sendmail?
I just installed exim successfully(thanks to all that helped me understanding how exim works and what EXIM_USER is for).

Then in order for exim to replace the MTA in my linux system(mandrake 9), I made the following change according to the exim manual:

making /usr/sbin/sendmail or /usr/lib/sendmail a symbolic link to the exim binary /usr/exim/bin/exim

Then I ran fetchmail -v and get the following result:

fetchmail: IMAP> A0007 FETCH 12 RFC822.HEADER
fetchmail: IMAP< * 12 FETCH (RFC822.HEADER {661}
reading message yl227@???:12 of 12 (661 header octets)
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 china ESMTP Postfix (1.1.11) (Mandrake Linux)
fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-china
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-PIPELINING
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-SIZE 10240000
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-VRFY
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-ETRN
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-XVERP
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 8BITMIME
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<yl227@???> BODY=7BIT SIZE=663
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Ok
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<yuan@localhost>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 Ok
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
fetchmail: SMTP< 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>

>From the 4th line, it seesm that fetchmail still uses "Postfix" rather than "exim" as my MTA. How come after I've made all the changes and exim is still

not my MTA?

netstat -tl |grep smtp

returns this:

tcp        0      0 localhost.localdom:smtp *:*                     LISTEN

And I add this in xinetd.conf (which is Mandrake's wrapper of inetd.conf)

service smtp
{
socket_type = stream
protocol = tcp
wait = no
user = mail
server = /usr/exim/bin/exim exim -bs
}

which should be the equivalent of this in inetd.conf
smtp stream tcp nowait mail /usr/exim/bin/exim exim -bs

And then I restarted xinetd by

service xinetd restart

Could anyone give me a hint what I've missed on making exim as my MTA?

Cheers,

Wei