[Exim] Filter suggestion

Author: Alain Williams
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Filter suggestion
I would like to suggest a new command for filters: "run" or "shell"

The point is that I do automatic processing of incoming mail to pseudo-user accounts based on the Subject.
If the mail is not recognised at the bottom of a .forward I have:

    # Whoops
    if not delivered
    then    mail to root@XXXXXX subject "Bad message sent to foobar" text "Look in the RawMessages file"
    endif

That is OK as far as it goes, but I would really like to inject an error message into the
application error log on the box so that it can be picked up & dealed with like all other application
errors - this has to be done by running a program. I could go "pipe" and the command will ignore stdin,
but that is not what pipe is really for. I would like to go:

    # Whoops
    if not delivered
    then    shell /usr/local/bin/LogMsg "Bad message sent to foobar"
    endif

The shell command should run setuid the pseudo user. The program will not generate output (stdout/stderr).
It would be nice to be able to set environment variables in the .forward file, eg:

    shell -e SubSystem=Something /usr/local/bin/LogMsg "Bad message sent to foobar"

(I don't want bounces, etc, to the mail originator since that is probably an automatic process
on a machine in another company. My error log filter software will extract the message and send
it to whoever looks after that particular subsystem.)

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>