Re: [Exim] How to invoke queue runners the right way

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How to invoke queue runners the right way
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Marc Haber wrote:

> And the queue runner in that case honors the hints that were built?

All deliveries, except those that are specifically forced to override
the hints (-M, -qf, etc) honour the hints.

> What would you do on a system that frequently trips its queue_only_max
> setting?

Depends on why it is tripping. I can think of a number of possible
reasons. If, for example, you have one slow connection to somewhere that
gets a lot of mail, and the queue runners are all stuck delivering to
that one host, I would suggest using serialize_hosts. If you just have
long queues that the queue runners take a long time to work through, and
you have a big enough machine to run additional processes, then I would
probably increase the limit. But it might be worth trying to find out
why the queue runners take so long (assuming that you aren't starting
them every minute or something). For example, is the routing taking long
because you do not have a "nearby" caching nameserver?