Re: [Exim] Problems with exim and Cyrus

Author: Oliver Eikemeier
To: Peter Burggraef
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems with exim and Cyrus
This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.
--
Hi Peter,
>>>couldn't connect to lmtpd: No such file or directory
>>>421 4.3.0 deliver: couldn't connect to lmtpd
>>
>>This is not an exim error, deliver (from the Cyrus IMAPd distribution) is
>>not working properly.
>>Check your Cyrus IMAPd configuration:
>>
>>- does the lmtpd socket (defined as lmtpsocket: /var/imap/socket/lmtp in
>>imapd.conf) exist? - is lmtpd running?
>
> Yes, socket exists. And normally it works fine for some days. Could it be that
> lmtpd crashes after some time and exim is not able to delivere via cyrus? But
> I thought that exim tryies it several times? Is it possible to define an
> alternative transport, which is used when lmtpd had crached?

lmtpd should not crash, it is spawned by the Cyrus master process. Exim + Cyrus
runs very stable on our site and many others. Something in the logs? Try adding
local6.all                                   /var/log/cyrus.log
to /etc/syslog.conf and HUP syslogd (see man 5 syslog.conf).

You can check lsof /var/imap/socket/lmtp too.

> Please have a look at my transport configuration. Perhaps you have some
> improvements for me.
>
> [...]
>
> #hier ist meine Zeile für Cyrus
> local_delivery:
> driver = pipe
> command = "/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver -m peter peter"
> return_path_add
> return_output
> prefix = ""
> user = cyrus

Assuming that you are using exim 4 >= 4.11 (find out with exim -bV), try the
lmtp transport <http://exim.work.de/exim-html-4.10/doc/html/spec_27.html#CHAP27>