Re: [Exim] How to invoke queue runners the right way

Autor: Nico Erfurth
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] How to invoke queue runners the right way
Marc Haber wrote:

>>Reason: In a "normal" configuration, Exim tries to deliver each message
>>when it receives it. If it fails (and the recipient is remote), it
>>remembers which messages are waiting for which hosts in its hints data.
>>So when it next successfully delivers to one of those hosts, it already
>>knows which messages to push down the same connection.
>
> And the queue runner in that case honors the hints that were built?

Yep, that's what the hints are for ;)
IIRC the code is in retry.c

>>-qq is useful when the messages on the queue have NOT previously been
>>attempted, because in that case, Exim has not previously routed them.
>>This is for special-case use, such as sites that usue queue_only, or
>>other ways of putting messages on the queue without routing them. One
>>common case is dial-up hosts that are off-line (I think -qq was invented
>>for them, come to think of it).
>
> What would you do on a system that frequently trips its queue_only_max
> setting?

The question is, what IS "frequently", once per hour? once per day? not
a very big deal, IMHO. The other question is, will -qq buy you ANYTHING
if this happens for you? Don't try to optimize for special cases ;)

Nico