Re: [Exim] Mail Filter/Relay Question

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Adam H. Pendleton
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mail Filter/Relay Question
On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 03:20:49PM -0400,
Adam H. Pendleton <fmonkey@???> is thought to have said:

> I am sure that I can gleam the answer to this question from the docs,
> but I am also looking for recommendations, so I am going to post it to
> the list.
>
> The company I work for uses M$ Exchange as their primary mail system.
> Currently they receive large amounts of spam, and they have no spam
> filter in place. Rather than purchase a decent spam filtering system
> for Exchange, I suggested that we use an Exim box, armed with
> SpamAssassin and RBL's to filter the mail before passing it on to the
> Exchange server. My questions are:
>
> 1) I assume this is possible?

Yes. I'm doing exactly this.

> 2) Is this the best/efficient/*cheapest* solution?

A single of P3-500 more than handles the load for my site (30 users, ~2500
msgs/day, another few thousand spams blocked/day). Exim 4.14 with exiscan.

> 3) How exactly would I go about configuring my DNS and Exim to do this?

See C043 in the Exim 4 sample configs for an example of fronting an Exchange
box with an Exim relay. You'll just set the MX records to be the IP
address(es) of your Exim box(es) and use a manualroute router to send mail
along to the Exchange if it's a valid RCPT.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality