Re: [Exim] Ident (RFC1413)

Página Inicial
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Phil Chambers
CC: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Ident (RFC1413)
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Phil Chambers wrote:

> I can see why it was considered useful in the days when e-mail users
> were logged in on multi-user systems,

"in the days when"? I guess we must be living in the past here in
Cambridge. We seem to have quite a few multi-user systems still in use.

If one of our users abuses your system and you can't give me back any
ident information, I'm afraid I won't be nearly as helpful as I might be
in tracking down the culprit.

> days and I can see no way in which it can provide anything useful to my server.

I know of ISPs that use it to record data about their dial-up customers,
which they put in ident data, encrypted. That enables them to be sure
who sent what message. But I suspect this is a rare use.