Re: [Exim] PAX terminating exim 4.14

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: exim-users, Philip Hazel, Nico Erfurth
Subject: Re: [Exim] PAX terminating exim 4.14
On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:38:13AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > 2003-04-23 13:30:32 198DuY-0000EK-Ad == test@??? R=dnslookup
> > T=remote_smtp defer (-1): smtp transport process returned non-zero
> > status 0x0009: terminated by signal 9
>
> What is signal 9 on your system? On mine it is SIGKILL...

It's SIGKILL too, I think that holds of every unix system I've worked on :-)

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 11:53:11AM +0200, Nico Erfurth wrote:
> >and I started getting a few of these today:
> >kernel: PAX: terminating task: /usr/sbin/exim4(exim4):15975, uid/euid:
> >8/8, EIP: 00002A42, ESP: 5909799C
> >kernel: PAX: bytes at EIP: <invalid address>.
> >
> >Does it look like a SEGV in exim?
>
> Marc, maybe you should say what PAX is:
> http://pageexec.virtualave.net/

My bad, sorry about that.

Philip, PAX is meant to help against buffer overflows and creates a non
executable stack.
I'm not much of a x86 expert, but PAX killed exim with a SIGKILL because
EIP: 00002A42, ESP: 5909799C
I suppose that means EIP is incorrect which is why PAX killed exim.

If it weren't for PAX, I think exim would have received a SEGV

> Have you tried to run exim with OpenSSL instead of GnuTLS?
> Have you tried to remove perl?

Neither yet, this problem only happened once and I can't reproduce yet.

If I were to guess, I'd be looking at GnuTLS.

If I have further problems, I'll try to switch back to openssl and see how
it goes.

Thanks
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key