Re: [Exim] if smtp destination is down, try via a backup, do…

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: Dan Jacobson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] if smtp destination is down, try via a backup, don't just fail
On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 05:57, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> OK, how about this "no fun and games" case: I connect my modem and I
> start noticing lots of reject messages in my mailbox. Hark, the fellow
> who let me use his machine as an smtp relay must have been abducted,
> machine and all. Well, there's another fellow who also lets me use
> his machine as an smtp relay. So, I have to peel out the original

Well, when exim gets a 5xx (which is what spam bounce rejects tend to
be) it bounces the message, period. Then it is up to you, the sender,
to notice this and resend your mail.

Look at the manualroute driver in your exim.conf that hands off all mail
to your smarthost. That can be modified to lookup a list of domains
that it will hand off to your smarthost, and then do direct delivery by
default.

    srs